Meet Tori Johnson

Erin Johnson still has the text message she got from the daycare teacher on the morning of October 20, 2015, alerting her that something was not right with Erin’s nine-month-old daughter. Tori, the message said, was spitting up and not acting like herself. Erin, who had dropped Tori off just two hours earlier, thought that the teacher might be overreacting to teething symptoms. After all, the child who waved “bye-bye” to her that morning was perfectly healthy. Erin describes her as “always on the move, crawling, pulling up-and close to walking,” eager to keep up with her three-year-old sister, Sydney.

A little before noon, Erin got a second message. Something was definitely wrong. By 2:30 that afternoon, Erin was in an exam room, waiting for her pediatrician, when the nurse came in and saw how lethargic the baby was. She went to get the doctor right away, who looked at Tori, and asked if Erin was able to drive her to the emergency room in Rogers, where the family still lives. Two scans and two hours later, mother and daughter were on Angel One headed to Arkansas Children’s Hospital.

There was no time to grasp what was happening, says Erin. “When I got on the helicopter, I thought we were going down for a brain bleed. Then we got there, and Dr. Albert started talking to me about cancer.” Tori, the scans revealed, had a tennis ball-size tumor-- AT/RT brain cancer. The words barely computed with Erin. “I told him, 'I must be misunderstanding something because when you said tumor, I heard cancer.' And he said, ‘Yes. Do you want to sit down?’ I couldn’t believe something that terrible could be wrong with her.”

Erin, who describes herself and husband Matt as “very analytical business people” says Dr. Albert’s calm, straightforward demeanor meant a lot to her from the very beginning. “I told him, my husband is driving here, and this news is going to destroy him. I need you to tell me what we are facing.”

She says Dr. Albert patiently explained to the couple what the recommended course of action was, and prepared them for the probable outcomes. If nothing was done at all, Tori might have a few weeks. If a biopsy showed it was the aggressive cancer he suspected, further treatment might prolong her life by months. Erin says nobody encouraged them to hope for more than slowing down the progression of the tumor, but then something entirely unexpected happened during the biopsy surgery: Dr. Albert was able to remove the entire tumor.

A follow-up MRI confirmed that the entire mass was removed. Erin calls it a miracle. “People say faith and prayer and science don’t go hand in hand,” she says, “but to us there’s no other explanation.”

Due to the possibility of microscopic cancer cells left behind, Tori still had to undergo chemotherapy, a stem cell transplant and radiation treatment. After one round of radiation at ACH, the Johnson’s insurance company transferred the remaining treatment to Kansas City and then Oklahoma City. When Arkansas Children’s Northwest opened, and they were able to transfer the rest of Tori’s treatment back to Arkansas, Erin says, the impact on their family’s life was huge.
Whereas before, treatments were a two-day affair, involving long road trips, expensive hotel stays, and overnight sitters for big sister Sydney, the opening of Arkansas Children's Northwest meant Tori could receive treatment and follow up visits with minimal disruption to family routines.

“It changed life for all of us.”

Through Tori’s treatment, she says, big sister Sydney has been “a rockstar.” Erin says that Arkansas Children's Child Life specialists did a great job in making sure her needs were also being met, finding her a costume and taking her trick-or-treating at the hospital on Halloween. She also appreciated the “little and huge things” the PICU nurses did to help the Johnsons during their time there. “We call them angels on earth,” she says.

“Their job was to take care of Tori, and they did that amazingly. But what they did for me and my husband, we can never forget.” One thing she is especially grateful for is the advice of one nurse to get a journal to record her thoughts and questions. Erin says it was an invaluable tool for coping with the overwhelming amount of information, and provided a record of Tori’s progress through her treatment.

The Johnsons, who both work as sales representatives, found their proactive, analytical personalities equipped them well for the challenge. “I sell cheese for a living. I don’t know medical terms,” she says, laughing. But she pushed herself to understand and ask questions, sometimes repeatedly, until she understood. She was grateful that her doggedness was welcomed and even encouraged by Tori’s team at ACH. “I felt like a toddler sometimes asking over and over, why are you doing this? But I want to be able to look Tori in the face when she’s 18 and say we made the best decisions we could. That we put her in the best position to fight.”

 Annabelle Donate Now

 Contact Us Button - ACH


Arkansas Children's Foundation
Phone: 800.880.7491  |  Email the Foundation

©1999 - 2019 Arkansas Children's. All rights reserved.

Policies and Disclosures          Email comments or report problems with this web site          Hospital and Patient Information